Joël Dumoulin29 March 1985Swiss Rte du Comptoir 191700 FribourgSwitzerland +41 (0)26 429 69 60joel [at] dumoulin.chhttp://joel.dumoulin.ch
May 2011-Today: Scientific collaborator at School of Engineering and Architecture of Fribourg
Teaching assistant for computer science courses in Bachelor and Master degrees in the following domains: information systems, human-computer interactions, algorithmic and data structures, machine learning and pattern recognition.
Project management and participation in various research projects, e.g., mCARS (HES-SO), Memories (Hasler Foundation).
Supervision of Bachelor and Master thesis, and other students' projects.
2005-2006: Full year internship at Hydro-Exploitation SA, Sion
Employee of the IT department, application development, user support.
Education and training
2012-2015: Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Engineering, Multimedia and Telecommunication at University of Florence, Italy
PhD Thesis: Emotion recognition in multimedia content and creation of an empathic television in order to improve television user experiences.
2009-2011: Master of Science HES-SO in Engineering, major in Information and Communication Technologies at University of Applied Sciences Western Switzerland
Master thesis: Brain Computer Interface research - Gesture recognition of simple hands movement using a brain lightweight headset for driving an electric Smart Wheelchair based on the user's brain activity (C#, Open-VIBE, SVM).
2006-2009: Bachelor of Science HES-SO in Computer Science at School of Engineering and Architecture of Fribourg
Graduate work: Design and implementation of a semi-virtual pool game on an interactive table (C#, XAML, Open Dynamics Engine).
2002-2006: Swiss Federal Certificate (CFC + Maturité technique) in Computer Science at Ecole des Métiers du Valais (EMVS)
Graduate work: Design and implementation of the stock management system for the printer supplies of the company (ASP.NET, MS SQL Server).
- Setting up research projects, IT project management, agile methodologies
- User interfaces and information visualization research
- Algorithmic and data structures
- Computer vision, machine learning and pattern recognition, multimedia processing and automatic annotation, affective modeling and emotions recognition
- Teaching, supervising students
- Augmented reality, virtual reality, semi-virtual reality
- Architecture and software development experience in .Net, J2EE and Python
- Mobile development
- Operating systems, databases, network
- J. Dumoulin, D. Affi, E. Mugellini, O. Abou Khaled. eRS: A System to Facilitate Emotion Recognition in Movies. In MM '15 Proceedings of the 23rd ACM international conference on Multimedia, pages 697-700. Brisbane, Australia. October 2015
- J. Dumoulin, D. Affi, E. Mugellini, O. Abou Khaled, M. Bertini, A. Del Bimbo.Affect Recognition in a Realistic Movie Dataset Using a Hierarchical Approach. In ASM '15 Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Affect & Sentiment in Multimedia, pages 15-20. Brisbane, Australia. October 2015
- J. Dumoulin, D. Affi, E. Mugellini, O. Abou Khaled, M. Bertini, A. Del Bimbo. Movie's Affect Communication Using Multisensory Modalities. In MM '15 Proceedings of the 23rd ACM international conference on Multimedia, pages 739-740. Brisbane, Australia. October 2015
- D. Affi, J. Dumoulin, M. Bertini, E. Mugellini, O. Abou Khaled, A. Del Bimbo. SensiTV: Smart EmotioNal System for Impaired People's TV. In TVX '15 Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Interactive Experiences for TV and Online Video, pages 125-130. Brussels, Belgium. June 2015
- J. Dumoulin, D. Affi, M. Bertini, E. Mugellini, O. Abou Khaled, A. Del Bimbo. Second Screen Applications for Better Television Advertising. In People, Context, and Devices: Defining the New Landscape of TV Experiences (ACM TVX 2015). Brussels, Belgium. June 2015
- J. Dumoulin, M. Sokhn, E. Mugellini, O. Abou Khaled, M. Bertini, A. Del Bimbo. 'Empathic TV Experiences for Visually and Hearing Impaired People Using Arousal Modeling', In EmpaTeX 2014, 1st International workshop on Empathic Television Experiences at ACM TVX 2014, June 2014
- J. Dumoulin, E. Mugellini, O. Abou Khaled, M. Bertini, and A. Del Bimbo. 'Towards Temporal Saliency Detection: Better Video Understanding for Richer TV Experiences', In ICDS 2014, The Eighth International Conference on Digital Society, pages 199–202, 2014.
- Dumoulin J.; Bertini M.; Del Bimbo A.; Mugellini E.; Abou Khaled O.; Sokhn M., 'Next Generation TV through Automatic Multimedia Annotation Systems: A Hybrid Approach', International Conference on Signal Processing and Multimedia Applications (SIGMAP 2012), p.192-197, Rome, Italy, 2012
- F. Carrino, J. Dumoulin et al., 'A self-paced BCI system to control an electric wheelchair – Evaluation of a commercial, low-cost EEG device', The 3rd IEEE Biosignals and Biorobotics conference (ISSNIP), Manaus, Brazil, 2012.
- J. Dumoulin, M. Sokhn et al., 'Vers une approche de visualisation multivues dans un système d’information répartie', IEEE NOTERE, Paris, France, May 2011
- J. Dumoulin, M. Sokhn, et al., 'Multimedia Information Browsing and Visualization', IEEE VisWeek/InfoViz, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, October 2010
- French: mother tongue
- English / German: very good skills, both written and oral
- Italian: good skills
Sport: fitness, running, boxe | Computer world: Hardware and software, mobile world, user interface evolution